Thursday, February 18, 2010

Intro

Okay, I know that the title of this blog is pretty random and perhaps maybe grammatically incorrect. However, I attempted to produce a title that has some relationship and reference to my all-time-favorite childhood novel,
My Sweet Orange Tree
by Jose Mauro de Vasconcelos. So, how did sweet orange tree transform into lime orange tree? Well, Vasconcelos was a Brazilian writer and the title of his novel in its original Portuguese is Meu Pé de Laranja Lima which translates into My Lime Orange Tree. Therefore, my attempt was somehow lost in translation.
I guess the second question that may arise is what is the relationship between this novel and science, the major field that I will be exploring through this blog? Hmmm… well, other than the fact that I love this book personally, I was really touched by the main character, Zezé’s use of imagination to look at the hardships in his life more positively. Although it may sound distant from science, I think imagination and fantasy is what creates science. And childhood imagination has certain power and passion that transforms imagination into reality.
For example, going few years back, the idea that people can call each other while walking around streets with a mobile phone was unheard-of. How about airplanes? Mag-lev transportation? Going to space? Science started with “what-ifs” and all the “what-ifs” came from people’s imagination. Imagination has the motivation and power to create new reality.
Just in case my readers became curious with the title of this blog, I decided to write a brief intro… but, more fun science stuffs are to come! So let’s get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment